Saturday, August 8, 2009

Golden Wok


I don’t really understand Chinese menus. I do understand that it’s not really Chinese, but I’m not sure why. I did go to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown (the New York one) once, and I remember an incomprehensible (to me) menu, and incomprehensible (to me) food. Is this a soup? Is it a dip? Do I wash my fingers in it? Very confusing. I won’t even talk about wondering what member of the animal kingdom I was eating. Obviously, I have difficulty stepping outside of my culture.


So there is a difference. Somewhere along the line, our culture created an Americanized Chinese cuisine. I would think then that the menu would be easier to understand. Ironically, the names of the items you order are very literal: Chicken with broccoli, Shrimp with Snow Peas, and so on. Yet, when they arrive, they look very different. Sometimes, the named items are part of a larger group of vegetables. Sometimes, it’s just those items in some sort of sauce/goo. Sometimes fried, sometimes wokked. It’s very difficult to know. Some Chinese restaurants have photos of the food (genius!). Ours does not. It’s another one of the many situations in my life where I feel like I’m expected to understand something that seems easy, but in truth is impenetrable by intuition. Maybe I should hire a tutor.


Fortunately, there are some go-to items that are mostly predictable. Sesame chicken is pretty consistent from restaurant to restaurant, as is General Tso (of frequent crossword puzzle fame) and my favorite, Moo Shoo Chicken. Sometimes spelled Mu Shu. Traditionally served with pork instead. At least in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment