Wednesday, August 5, 2009

De La Vergne

I took Emma and Lena out for dinner. Could’ve gone for pizza (probably should have) but went to local steak house instead.

This place has had several reincarnations in my time living here, but the first was as a bar called "Top o’ the Stretch." This was the location of my one and only (near) bar fight, about 24 years ago.

I was playing pool with a woman who was also Young Millbrook Faculty at the time. She and I were a team, and we were playing against a pair of rough looking guys. Winner got to keep the table, so there was something on the line. At a point late in the game, my partner didn’t have a clear shot at anything productive, so she chose to make a defensive shot, just shooting the cue ball off of a few cushions, hoping to leave our opponents nothing to shoot at either. She saw this as crafty; the cowboys we were playing did not. There was some swearing, some slamming of pool sticks, a threat to "ask the bartender about the house rules," a quick concession speech by me, and a speedy getaway.

To this day, I’m pretty sure I could have taken the shorter one.

No comments:

Post a Comment