Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Harwichport music


In Harwichport, on Cape Cod, they have a "music stroll" about every other week during the summer. Six or so bands play about every two blocks.  We walked by several bands, listening to parts of songs,  until we heard one band playing "The Weight." 

Family tradition requires that we stop at this song and listen.  Not really my family, but the family I married into.  There are four musical siblings in this family, and "The Weight" is to Kathy and her three brothers what "Satisfaction" is to the Rolling Stones -- they play it at every show.  The reason for this, I believe, is because "The Weight" has 73 verses, which is divisible by four with a remainder of one, thus allowing each sibling the same number of solo opportunities, with one rousing group finish at the end.

Asking me whether I like this song is akin to asking whether I liked the drawings my children used to bring home from second grade art class -- it's irrelevant, because it's going on the refrigerator for certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment