Thursday, August 20, 2009

Provincetown



Here are some comparisons between the official policies and guidelines of the two parades I remember seeing in-person in my life:

Application Deadline for Marching:
Macy's™ Thanksgiving Day:  8 months before parade.
Provincetown Carnival:  3 days before parade.

Cost to enter:
Provincetown:    $0.
Macy's:  $1,339.

Time before the parade marchers must arrive:
Macy's™:   6 days.
Provincetown:  45 minutes.

Philosophy:
Macy's™:   "..legendary for its rigid standards and it's [sic] highly competitive selection process."  (I guess the rigid standards don't include proper punctuation. Hahahahaha.)
Provincetown:  "...festive, colorful, and tastefully outrageous..."

Parade Pace:
Macy's™:   120 steps in 1 minute.
Provincetown:  0.25 miles in 10 minutes.  (At 3 feet per step, this is 44 steps per minute.)

Theme:
Macy's™:   America's Favorite Parade
Provincetown:  Summer of Love:  Peace, Love and Go-Go Boots

Nudity:
Provincetown:  Not allowed.
Macy's™:   No stated policy.  (This kind of surprised me.)


In My Head:
Macy's™:  Weeeeee! Snoopy!
Provincetown:  Does this shirt make me look straight?

No comments:

Post a Comment