Saturday, June 20, 2009

Manhattan

Jonah had a camp orientation day near White Plains from 8:15 to 4:15.  So I dropped him off, drove into Manhattan, parked around 90th street and put "blintzes" into the iPhone map search.

Result: Barney Greengrass.  Apparently, this is one of those New York landmarks that people who live in the neighborhood know all about.  If I went there for breakfast, I could be on the "inside."  My dream.

I didn't order the blintzes, though.  They weren't prominently featured on the menu, so I figured I'd stay away.  Instead, I took revenge on a waitress at the Stage Door Deli.

Last year, Kathy was in NY for a conference, and I went with her.  I went into the Stage Door Deli to get breakfast, planning to order lox and a bagel.  I was greeted by this surly waitress ("Yeah, fine, sit anywhere.") who irritated me immediately.

Me:  "I'll have a poppy bagel and lox, please."

Waitress:  "Are you sure?  The lox is very salty, you know.  Maybe you want the Nova."

Me (internally):  "How dare you question my knowledge of lox.  Look at me, look at my face, my features.  Don't I look like I know my way around lox??"

Me (super-internally): "Hmm.  I didn't know that.  Do I want the salty lox?  Probably not -- I should probably get the Nova."

Me (out loud, with a somewhat incredulous scowl):  "No, I want the lox!"

So the lox came, and it was really, really, really, salty.  But I ate it, every last bit.  That showed her.

Today, I just ordered a poppy bagel and Nova.  Confidently.  Take that!


No comments:

Post a Comment