Monday, June 22, 2009

Pot Luck

I snuck a seat here during the Pot Luck, but for the most part, I and everyone else stood.  Is this normal?  I think it probably is in a house like ours -- family room / dining area / kitchen, all one big room.  Where do you go?  Mostly, you stand around the kitchen counter.  Probably 25 people or so, eating standing up.

How much food should you bring to a Pot Luck?  My answer is mathematical.  Suppose there are four in your family.  You should bring enough food to fill all of your plates with what you'd eat.  For example, if you're going to bring boneless chicken breasts, you do some addition:


What I'll eatChicken Equivalent
1 Chicken Breast1 Chicken Breast
Maybe some rice1/3 Chicken Breast
How about a vegetable?1/4 Chicken Breast
Like, Cheese and Crackers, Chips and Salsa, etc.1/4 Chicken Breast
Probably a drink or something1/3 Chicken Breast
Maybe a little dessert?1/4 Chicken Breast
No coffee for me0 Chicken Breasts

In effect, it's a fancy barter system.  We bring chicken and trade it for other foods.  According to my calculations, we needed to bring 2 5/12 chicken breasts per person.  Tonight we had three of us going, so we needed to bring 7 1/4 chicken breasts.  And that's without the host discount.

I know you're wondering -- how much chicken did we bring?  I have no idea -- ask Kathy.


No comments:

Post a Comment