Monday, July 27, 2009

Diner

Sometimes we eat at the diner. There are many different "the diners" but they all have similar menus.

I have made two summer resolutions. They are deep and they are achievable at diners.

First, when the server comes and asks, "Can I get you anything to drink?" and I want only water, I am not going to say, "I'll just have water." This is disrespectful to water. I will ask for my water proudly, as in, "I'll have some water please." Maude Barlow would be proud. She's Canadian, so I want her to like me.

My second resolution is that I will resist, really resist, ordering the turkey club whenever I'm in a diner. I tend to look at the menu, read it all very carefully, weigh all options, and then settle on the turkey club. It means I'm boring. I have the same problem in Baskin-Robbins. I'll look at each flavor, both by name and in the tub, and then I'll order the chocolate chip because it has the little slivers of chocolate rather than the big chunks that are in favor now. I've been tempted by the Pralines 'n' Cream, which for years and years was their top selling ice cream, but I can never get myself to order it because I'm not quite sure what a praline is, and it sounds like prune and raisin, which would be a terrible ice cream.

At the diner, I've been turkey-club-free. I'm very proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment