Friday, July 10, 2009

Movie Theater

I had a day alone in Westchester to a movie. I don't mind attending movies alone. There are two movies I saw by myself that I remember clearly.

1) In 1989, I was in a math program at the University of California at Santa Barbara. UCSB is actually located about 10 miles from Santa Barbara. One hot Sunday afternoon, I decided to bike into the city to see Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. The theater was at the top of a hill, so when I finally sat down, I was hot and drenched with sweat. Which is exactly how you should see that film -- it takes place on a very hot day, and the weather might be the main character.

2) In 2000, I arrived in Chicago one evening to attend a math conference. It was raining out, so I decided to go see High Fidelity, the adaptation of a Nick Hornby book I loved. The book took place in London, but they'd moved the film's setting to.....Chicago! Cool. They were very true to the book, and it was a great film.

Today's film (I Love You, Beth Cooper), not so much. He did save the cheerleader, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment