Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dog Couch

Archie Bunker's chair is in the Smithsonian. When I went there as a kid and saw it (18 years old is still a kid, in retrospect), I thought it was cute that it was there.

Now that I'm far into my adulthood, I understand much more clearly what that chair represents: Territory. With kids and wives and pets all through my house, I can relate to the Archie's need to shout "Get outta the chair, meathead!"

Unfortunately, I don't have my own chair. The kids have claimed all of the good seats -- somehow, they can sit on the couch, the chair, and the beanbag all at once. Kathy decided when we got the Dog that he'd be allowed up on one piece of furniture -- the blue couch. That couch is now the Dog's couch. It opens up into a bed, but I've never seen him do that. He just lounges on the cushions all day, and sleeps there all night (on his back, oddly.)

If you do sit on the Dog's couch, he kind of walks back and forth in front of you, longingly looking up at his occupied space. If you dare get up for a moment, the Dog pounces and you're out.

Sometimes, he will share, but he doesn't like it. He keeps poking you with his paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment