Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Luxury Suite

Tickets to the CNN luxury suite via a friend I hadn't seen since high school. That's 30 years, if you're counting. And who isn't.

When 30 years pass, that's a lot of catching up to do. Larry noticed that I'd gotten my braces off (he must have forgotten they were gone in 9th grade); I asked him how the nineties had gone. He told me that he'd found himself playing the comparative how-long-ago-was-it game.

For example, when we last saw each other, it was 1979. Go back thirty years from that date, and it's 1949, which to us 1979 high school seniors seemed like forever ago. Another example: The Mets last won the world series in 1986. That was 23 years ago. Go back that far from 1986, and you're in 1963, the year I turned one.

Don't play this game going forward. It's too disturbing.

The most frustrating thing about this perspective on time is that our parents' certainly had this same insight when they were our age. And, they tried to explain it to us in their way. And, of course, it was white noise to us. Now, I'll attempt to explain it to my kids. But I'll do it in a way that they'll understand and learn from. Yes I will.



No comments:

Post a Comment