Saturday, July 25, 2009

Millbrook Chapel


I don't get to many weddings these days. I'm at that awkward age -- my friends and those of my generation in my family are married, but their children are too young. An exception today, as a former student was married in our chapel.

This is very convenient. I could walk to the wedding if I wanted too. I didn't, because the half-mile walk would have generated a sweat that I wouldn't have been able to shake for several hours.

I've been to a bunch of weddings in our chapel, including my brother-in-law's wedding on the night before Emma was born, and my own. I enjoyed this wedding for a slew of reasons. I hadn't seen the bride in a while, and I didn't know anything about the groom at all. The bride's parents are musicians, and they sang and played two songs that communicated their love for their daughter and their excitement for this marriage. Also, the ceremony was brief and to the point.

The best moment reminded me of my own wedding. When the bride said, "I do," she did so with volume and assertiveness, which drew a big laugh from the crowd. My vows required a "Yes" or "No", and when I decided on "Yes," I was loud and proud, and I also got a laugh. Which in the end, it what it's all about, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment